Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Trek Prep Devotional - Heather Chandler

As I am typing this devotional, the sun is beginning to set, and the cooler air is now moving throughout the house, and fireworks can be heard from some of my neighbors. Simply put, summer has arrived.

Girls Camp for the Bellingham Stake was last week, and for those of us who were at Cascade Park, we can attest that the spirit was in great abundance, along with laughter, singing, and camp cheers. Last week, amid the humidity and rain, my thoughts wandered to Trek…. How will we handle the heat? Have the youth broken in their Trek boots? Do we have our clothes ready? And so on….I’m a planner. I like to know what is expected of me and then organize my list of to-do’s so that I set myself up for personal success. We are now at that stage of our planning (for ma’s and pa’s) where hopefully we have done our physical preparation, and now we are ramping up our spiritual preparation. Our Girls Camp scripture this year (happens to be my all-time favorite, no coincidence in my book) and is found in 2 Nephi 31 verse 20 “Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life. “

At camp, the young women discussed what it meant to be steadfast in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and how they could be a light to others on their journey. Sis. Elaine Dalton, former General YW President of the church, shared in her conference address in April 2003,   “On a pier in Copenhagen, Denmark, is a bronze statue of a young woman named Kristina. Kristina stands looking out to sea toward her goal to join the Saints in Zion. The wind is blowing against her fiercely, but she does not look back. She is steadfast as she presses forward doing a very hard thing, but one she knows to be right. I love that statue, for to me Kristina represents my own Danish great-great-grandmother who chose to join the Church amid great resistance. I am grateful for her courage and testimony. On her choice that day rested not only my eternal destiny but also the destiny of generations.
In the Book of Mormon, Nephi tells us that we can “press forward” (2 Ne. 31:20). He says we not only can but must. Perhaps Nephi, like Kristina, could see that the steadfast choices of one individual affect generations.”

As we prepare in these finally days leading up to Trek and contemplate how we can best execute the message “with Joy wend your way”. Let us not forget, the Master planner of all, our Heavenly Father. With His help, and guidance of the Holy spirit, those of us who press forward, “pushing and pulling”, will find the joy along the way, and have a better understanding of the great plan of happiness, and where we fit in it. How fortunate we are to be a part of this unique experience. 8 days and counting…… Whew-hew!!

I found this link on Facebook today. I thought you might like to share with friends, family, and co-workers. You know…when they ask, “you’re doing what?”





Sister Heather Chandler
Bellingham 2nd Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment