Thursday, June 6, 2013

Trek Prep Devotional - Brien & Annie Reed

"You don't have to push a handcart, or leave your family dear.  Or walk a thousand miles or more to be a Pioneer."
"You do have to have great courage.  Faith to conquer fear, and work with might for a cause that's right to be a Pioneer."

I do not come from Mormon Pioneer heritage.  There were never any stories growing up of any of my Reed ancestors pushing handcarts or making their way across the plains.  However, there were the stories of my Mother's conversion in her early 20's and of the choices my parents made to "pioneer" our family into the Light of the Gospel.  In the dictionary, one of the definitions of pioneer is to: "develop, or be the first to use or apply a new method, area of knowledge, or activity.  And so it was with the Ricke and Anni Reed family.  My mom and dad made the decision to apply a new method to build the Reed family spiritually and it paid great dividends.  Of the six of us kids, three have served missions, one is finishing his, and the "baby" will be leaving in August.

I have my own family now, and we continue to apply the Gospel of Jesus Christ every day.  We "pioneer" every day as we cross through the hills and valleys of life.  We are constantly developing our spiritual pathways, and pushing forward with the hope of a better tomorrow.  We love life and are blessed beyond words.  Having said that, we are not "jumping for joy" to go on Trek.  We are not, how should you say it, "outdoorsy" people.  But, we love the gospel, we support our leaders, and we were called to do this.  We believe in honoring and sustaining those who are over us and accept their inspiration, knowing that we will be blessed and strengthened.  We love the youth.

We do not believe in coincidences.  It will not be a "chance" meeting when we meet with our trek families.  We will be prepared to do and say the things that the Lord would do and say if He were there.  There will be youth that will need to hear our voices and our stories.  Sixteen years ago, I went on Trek.  Bishop and Sister Usery of Bellingham were my Pa and Ma.  Sister Usery told us that she was the only member of the church in her family.  She decided to be the pioneer and to be baptized when no one else in her family would.  Her story touched me then and strengthened me and my testimony of temples and of Eternal Families.  Her courage, strength, and resolve still brings tears to my eyes after all these years.  She was prepared to say the things that I needed to hear and that left a lasting impression on me.  

We will be ready to work hard, sweat, sing, laugh, and cry with our youth.  We will be ready to bear powerful testimony of the Lord Jesus Christ and of His Atonement.  We will share our stories with them and will encourage them to share their story with us.  We will see miracles.  May we be ready for this life-changing event...is my humble prayer in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Brien and Annie Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment