Friday, June 14, 2013

Trek Prep Devotional - James & Chris King

Francis Webster, a survivor from the Martin Handcart Company shared this:

"We suffered beyond anything you can imagine, and many died of exposure and starvation....[But we] came through with the absolute knowledge that God lives, for we became acquainted with Him in our extremities.

"I have pulled my handcart when I was so weak and weary from illness and lack of food that I could hardly put one foot ahead of the other.  I have looked ahead and seen a patch of sand or a hill slope and I have said, I can go only that far and there I must give up, for I cannot pull the load through it.  I have gone to that sand, and when I reached it, the cart began pushing me.  I have looked back many times to see who was pushing my cart, but my eyes saw no one.  I knew then that the angels of God were there.

"Was I sorry that I chose to come by handcart?  No, Neither then nor any minute of my life since.  The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay, and I am thankful that I was privileged to come in the Martin handcart company."



Many of us at times may feel weak and weary fulfilling our responsibilities, extending service where needed, and just simply dealing with the daily tasks of life.  When exhaustion hits and we feel we can do no more, we are reminded of this story and also what President Richards frequently taught as the saints were called to emigrate.  

"The Lord Helps Those Who Help Themselves."

We are expected to do all we can, and it is hard at times, but when there is no more to give the Lord will send angels to help push our carts. We are so grateful for this knowledge and for the example of our pioneer saints.

We are looking forward to Trek!
James and Chris King 

Reference: "The Price We Paid" The Extraordinary Story of the Willie & Martin Handcart Pioneers: Andrew D. Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment