Thursday, April 4, 2013

Trek Prep Devotional - Gwynn Meaker

Four years ago, President Charles Usery came to me and ask Dan and I to be parents on Trek. He informed me that he had already gotten the "OK" from Dan. My first thought,,,, " I must learn how to silence my husband! " To say I had no desire to go on trek, is by far the biggest understatement of the century. I disclosed every logical reason under the sun, just why we (and when I said we I meant why I) was not the proper options for trek. So, President Usery did what President Usery does best, looked me squarely in the eye, smiled and pointed to the sky and said, "I'm not the one asking?" AGHHHHHHHH He found my week spot. So I told him I'd think about it.





Well, that was four years ago, and to answer your question, "Yes, I went to trek". I don't look at mountains the same way any more. The short four days spent as a little pioneer family pushing hand carts up and down foothills (Not Mountains) brings me such a feeling of amazement and wonder for the real pioneers. However, because of trek, I know that  they, the pioneers, pressed forward with Joy. I have never experienced four days in a row, before, or since, where I felt the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, leading me, guiding me, and helping me with every step, and every conversation that I had with my lil' family. Trek is by far an experience that has changed my life. I am so excited for the experiences that our wonderful youth are about to embark on, the testimony building moments that will stay with them the rest of their lives. I witnessed  trek change the lives of the youth that Dan and I were privileged to be a "Pa and Ma" to. I have witnessed long term how  trek changed the life of my brother, who before his trek, was teeter-tottering with a testimony, only to come back and serve a full time mission, and come back an was sealed to his eternal companion in the temple. 

Dallin H. Oaks has said, " There are hidden heroines and heroes among the Latter-day Saints - those of the last wagon whose fidelity to duty and devotion to righteousness go unnoticed by anyone except the ONE whose notice really matters. "

As a Ma and Pa, you will be a hero to these youth. Let Light and Joy be your constant companion.

Trek changes lives! Prepare yourselves, and know that that this experience will be a blessing not only to those who you will be privileged to serve, but to you as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment