Monday, April 15, 2013

Trek Prep Devotional - Jason Kaopua

Like many of our youth involved in Trek, I was raised in the Church.  Life was pretty easy for me in the sense that school wasn't that difficult, I did fairly well at sports and music, and making friends came easily.  We always had food on the table and were financially stable.

When I went on my mission to Haiti, my eyes were opened to just how hard life can be for others.  I noticed that the Haitian people were still happy--just as happy as me, in fact.  How was this so?  They had nothing--not just in worldly wealth, but in education, and hope as well.  Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere with no natural resources and a poor national economic outlook.  Yet people there did live happy lives.  I realized that one source of peace and happiness comes from within. 

When considering the pioneers and the many trials they experienced--the lack of food and provisions, bitter winters, lack of medicine, and other dangers they encountered along the way, one cannot help but admire their faith.  To read that they were happy although they had to flee for their lives amazes me.  How could they live happy lives amidst their tribulations? For the pioneers, it was in seeking after God--the joy of inheriting eternal life.

This hope and knowledge we share.  This affects our outlook on life both here and in the eternities.  We, of all people should be happy.  I hope that trek helps our young people see through the experiences of the pioneers, that happiness comes from within, hope comes through Christ, and lasting joy comes through becoming like our Heavenly Father.

Mosiah 2:41--And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.


No comments:

Post a Comment