Thursday, April 11, 2013

Trek Prep Devotional - Russ Dzialo

My family history does not include any Mormon pioneers with the exception of myself. I am a first generation member of the church. I have been a member only a short time (8 1/2 years) and have done a lot of family history research. I had the privilege of going the Temple last night with the youth of my ward. Baptisms were done on behave of a few of my ancestors including a great-grandfather and some great-great grandparents. Although I never met these people I could feel their presence in the Temple.

Some of my ancestors were in Quincy, Illinois at the time Nauvoo was booming. These were German immigrants who like most people came to the United States in search of a better life.

Although I have never been on a Pioneer Trek, I have been backpacking for 11 days. I know of the determination and teamwork that it takes to make it through to the end. I know that testimonies will be strengthened and friendships will be formed as the youth and leaders complete this experience. We should keep our ancestors in our minds and hearts as we prepare. We should also look at ourselves as pioneers regardless of ancestry because what we do in this life will have an impact on our posterity.

Yours In Service,
Russ Dzialo


No comments:

Post a Comment